Sindh Government dismisses two Civil Defence officers over negligence in Gul Plaza case

Areesha Ahmadzai August 20, 2026 Opinion

The Sindh government has dismissed two Civil Defence officers from service after allegations of negligence, misconduct and fabrication of official fire safety records in connection with the Gul Plaza fire were established.

The dismissal orders were issued by Additional Chief Secretary Home Muhammad Iqbal Memon. The two officials removed from their positions are Additional Controller Fatima Memon and Senior Instructor Mirza Mursaleen Baig.

According to the Sindh Home Department, the officers failed to properly conduct the required fire safety audits of Gul Plaza during 2024 and 2025. After a fire broke out at the building on January 17, 2026, reports relating to those earlier years were allegedly prepared.

Action against Mirza Mursaleen Baig

Senior Instructor Mirza Mursaleen Baig was accused of serious negligence in carrying out fire safety inspections at Gul Plaza. Authorities said he also failed to ensure that safety problems identified at the building were solved.

Baig was further accused of preparing false fire safety reports for 2024 and 2025 after the January fire and giving them earlier dates.

He received a notice on June 19, 2026. His written response was found unsatisfactory. He was then given a personal hearing where he had the opportunity to defend himself and submit evidence.

The department concluded that the required fire safety audits had not been conducted according to prescribed procedures. His explanation regarding the documents was also rejected.

Authorities classified his actions as serious negligence, resulting in his immediate dismissal.

Additional controller Fatima Memon also dismissed

Fatima Memon, who served as Additional Controller (BS-17) at Civil Defence Karachi South, was also removed from service.

The Home Department said she repeatedly failed to ensure effective fire safety audits of Gul Plaza over several years. She was also held responsible for failing to ensure that identified fire safety problems were solved.

Authorities further accused Memon of working with Baig to fabricate official records.

Similarly, Memon also received a notice and was allowed to submit a written response. She was also provided a personal hearing and an opportunity to present evidence in her defence.

However, the Sindh government concluded that the allegations had been established and imposed the major penalty of dismissal from service with immediate effect.

Also read: Fire erupts in Gul Plaza basement once again