The parents of young businessman Mir Raza Ali, who was found dead on July 29, have expressed a lack of confidence in the newly formed investigation team and called for direct supervision of the case by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah.
According to ARY News, the victim’s parents, through their lawyer Jibran Nasir, have approached the prime minister, Sindh chief minister and senior police officials, urging them to directly oversee the investigation into their son’s death.
In their application, the parents alleged that instead of looking for new evidence, the new investigation team was focusing on maintaining the position that Mir Raza had died by suicide.
The family also raised objections over the alleged lack of action against several senior police officials in connection with the case. They called for appropriate action against Sindh Home Minister Zia-ul-Hassan Lanjar, the Sindh Inspector General of Police and members of the current investigation team.
The parents further demanded action against DIG East Farrukh Lanjar and other police officials, citing alleged irregularities in the investigation.
They also pointed to alleged mishandling of evidence and investigative shortcomings, urging the relevant authorities to intervene immediately and ensure a transparent and impartial probe into their son’s death.
The family has called for the investigation to be conducted under the direct supervision of the highest authorities to ensure that all aspects of the case and available evidence are thoroughly examined.
Earlier, Mir Raza Ali’s mobile phone and smartwatch were handed over to the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) for forensic examination as his family seeks a detailed analysis of the devices in connection with his death.
Jibran Nasir, the lawyer representing Mir Raza Ali’s family, confirmed that the deceased’s mobile phone and smartwatch had been submitted to the NCCIA.
According to Nasir, family members met NCCIA officials and requested that the digital devices be examined by the Punjab Forensic Science Agency (PFSA) to ensure a thorough and transparent investigation.
The development comes amid an ongoing probe into Mir Raza Ali’s death, whose body was recovered from Gulistan-e-Johar in Karachi.
Nasir had earlier raised concerns over the handling of the smartwatch, saying police had requested the device on the day of Raza’s Soyem. He alleged that SSP Soomro kept the smartwatch in his possession for eight days despite its potential importance as evidence in the case.
Meanwhile, Dr Usama, who conducted Mir Raza Ali’s initial post-mortem examination, has been removed from his position and summoned before an inquiry committee.
Sindh Inspector General of Police Javed Alam Odho had previously acknowledged shortcomings in the investigation, including lapses involving a medico-legal officer from the provincial health department.
Odho said measures were being taken to address the shortcomings identified during the investigation, which was continuing in light of the detailed findings of the medical board.
The police had initially proceeded with the investigation based on the medico-legal report issued following the first post-mortem examination.
The investigation committee probing Mir Raza Ali’s murder is scheduled to hold its second formal meeting tomorrow. Sources said the committee has already held three sessions, including meetings involving committee officials.
The first meeting lasted more than five hours, while the second session was attended only by members of the investigation committee. The committee has reviewed the case in detail and recorded statements from officials associated with both the first and second investigation teams.
The SHO of Ferozabad police station and the former investigation officer were also interviewed, while geo-fencing was carried out as part of the probe.
Sources said the scope of the investigation is expected to be expanded during the upcoming meeting, with statements from people linked to the case likely to be recorded.
Earlier, investigators prepared a list of 10 people who had allegedly lent money to Mir Raza and decided to question them as part of the probe.
According to investigative sources, details of the loans have also been compiled. Mir Raza had allegedly borrowed more than Rs17.5 million from a person identified as Abid, while another individual, Moni, had reportedly lent him Rs500,000.
Investigators have compiled details of loans exceeding Rs50 million allegedly taken by Mir Raza from the 10 individuals. The people on the list will be questioned as the investigation into his murder continues.
Also read: Mir Raza Ali’s body exhumed after original medical board restored