Trump says US will ‘hold off’ Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders

Trump Iran attack

The President of the United States (US), Donald Trump, said on Monday that he would “hold off” an attack on Iran that was reportedly planned for Tuesday after requests from Gulf leaders.

Trump wrote on his social media platform, Truth Social, that “serious negotiations” were taking place with Iran and that Gulf countries believed “a deal will be made.”

Trump on ‘Iran attack’

“I have been asked by the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and the President of the United Arab Emirates, Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow,” he said.

“In that serious negotiations are now taking place, and that, in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond,” he added.

“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN! Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow,” he added.

“But have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached,” the president further added.

New US proposal

Earlier on Monday, Iran said it had responded to a new US proposal aimed at ending the war.

Iranian officials said discussions were continuing, although Iranian media described Washington’s demands as excessive.

The US and Iran have been exchanging proposals since the conflict began on February 28. So far, the two sides have held one round of talks while a fragile ceasefire has remained in place since April 8.